We have a strong financial balance. Current membership listing is located under the Membership tab.
Dan (KR4UB) explained that installing the repeater at UNC is not cost effective at this time. The club is seeking a cost sharing arrangement with UNC. More information will be known later this Spring.
- Raleigh (RARS) Fest – The Club sold a few items totaling $40 dollars. Thanks to Steve’s (KZIX) $67 donation at the meeting, we added a total of $107 to our savings account.
- Durham Fest is Saturday, May 26, 2018. Tickets are now available. – Tickets available. Link to site with Dates.
- The Tar Heel 10 Miler is April 21st. The Tar Heel 10 Miler and Fleet Feet 4 Mile run both start at the UNC Chapel Hill Bell Tower running you through the heart of downtown Chapel Hill, the historic Rosemary district, the UNC Campus and the beautiful Gimghoul neighborhood. Steve (W3HAL) has inquired with race management regarding amateur radio support. We should have an update in the next week or two.
- A VE Session is scheduled for Saturday, April 14th at the Orange County Emergency Services Center. Thanks to Paul (N2XZF), Nick (KA1HPM), Andy (W4KIL) and Dave (NA4VY) for their assistance.
- OCRA has experience difficulties managing our emails distribution with Yahoo. As such, earlier this month Dave (W4SAR) transitioned our Yahoo account to Groups.io, which provides a more mature platform providing more features and easier group management.
- Field Day is approaching…June 23 and 24. We are planning to retain the same band captions, but will move Digital to field, which will make the barn available for more easily accessible stations. We plan to leverage the NCOCRA blog calendar to manage station coverage throughout the event. Still looking for a “few good hams” to manage the food committee. If interested, please let Dave (W4SAR) know.
Vertical T-Wire Top Antenna 80 and 160 Meter Vertical and 80 Meter Dipole
Wilson was inspired by the Bouvet expedition to build a “T” Top Antenna for 80 and 160 Meter. While the Bouvet expedition was not successful (Inclement Weather) the “T” antenna was successful. For more information on the Antenna, please reference Dan’s (KR4UB) blog article, “The Lurid Details of a W4BOH antenna for Bouvet.”
For more information on Low-Band DXing, Wilson recommends John Devoldere (ON4UN) book, Low-Band Dxing: Antennas, Equipment and Techniques for DXcitement on 160, 80, and 40 Meters.
An overview of the EZNEC design and analyzer measurements of W4BOH’s 160/80M vertical/dipole antenna, as of mid-March is located at:
Andy (W4KIL) presented a 5W CW Transceiver kit by QRP Labs. The transceiver is a feature rich, high performing, single-band 5W CW transceiver kit, with WSPR beacon and built-in alignment/test equipment for only $49.