- Current balance is $12,095.92, with 71 membership dues current.
- Individual OCRA members supported the Bouvet DXpedition with $210 dollars’ worth of donations. The Board agreed to match individual donations up to $200, thus total contributions from OCRA for the DXpedition were $410.
- First 2018 OCRA Membership meeting at Efland Baha’i Center went well. Membership agreed to continue using the facility for the remainder of the year. Thanks to Dave, W4SAR, for managing the new location.
- Dan, KR4UB, has made updates to the NCOCRA website. The goal of the updates are to improve the user experience, search ability, and navigation. Please let us know your thoughts on the changes and any suggestions for improvements in the “reply” section.
- Steve (K1ZX) presented the FA-VA4 Vector Antenna Analyzer Kit from com. This low cost, $139 antenna analyzer powered by 2 x AA alkaline batteries, has graphing capabilities and provides one port measurement of frequencies ranging from 100 kHz to 100 MHz with a system impedance of 50 Ohms (BNC). Good features at an affordable price….Thanks for sharing Steve.
- Sherri Rapp, WB4OSU, recently purchased an Elecraft KX3, nice! As such, she is no longer in need of her Kenwood 440. If interested please email Sherri at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 336.253.5549
Dan, KR4UB, made large scale copies of the current Tower drawings. He and Steve, KZ1X, will present the drawings to Tower Engineering in Raleigh to assist in the feasibility of putting the repeater on the air.
2018 Elections Results:
Dave Snyder, W4SAR – President
Lad Carrington, W4ORD – Vice President
Keith Stouder, W1KES – Secretary
Dan Eddleman, KR4UB – Treasurer
Board Members At Large:
Karen Snyder, KD4YJZ
Dee Ramm, KU4GC
Wilson Lamb, W4BOH
Wilson Lamb, W4BOH
Bill Bischoff, N8BR
Lad Carrington, W4ORD
The 2017 Christmas Dinner held at the Hillsborough Exchange Club was well attended, and enjoyed by all. Thanks to Lad for managing the details and for being a very gracious host.
Discussion regarding the 2018 Christmas Dinner entertained the idea of purchasing tickets in advance, rather than pay at the door. This payment approach would better ensure an accurate head count and associated cost. Further discussion will be occur later in the year.
Field Day 2018:
There was much discussion on how to improve the Field Day experience. Several notable discussion points included:
- Establishing a food committee with dedicated resources responsible for suppling and preparing the meals.
- Establish an operator schedule to ensure coverage of stations throughout the event.
- Operational options ranging from antenna design and deployment to use of a bucket truck for adequate antenna height.
- Sherri, WB4OSU, and Loren, KV4ZR offered to assist Lad on the food committee.
These discussion points as well as others will continue to be debated and discussed at future Board and Membership meetings as we get closer to the 2018 Field Day, June 23-24.
Membership Meeting Improvements:
Steve, KZ1X, suggested leveraging the large screen TV and wireless access for displaying content, like documents and videos, focusing on “how to” programs. Wilson, W4BOH, also mentioned that there is good amateur radio content on the Internet that we can use in developing membership programming.
This new program approach may provide new Hams an opportunity to explore and learn about the hobby, while providing experience Hams an opportunity to share their experiences, best practices, and lessons learned.
If you have additional ideas or suggestions on how to improve the membership meeting experience, please reply below.
- Hams & Eggs at Virlie’s
- OCRA members and Club contribute to Bouvet DXpedition
- OCRA member Tucker, W4FS and Sam, KI4TRG of Raleigh receive QCWA Scholarships
- January Meeting Location Change
- NCOCRA Membership Meeting, November 13, 2017
- Herb, N4HA wins Third Prize in the ARRL 2017 Antenna Design Competition for his 20M Two-Element Wire “IV” Beam
- OCRA Board Meeting – October 30, 2017
- NCOCRA Membership Meeting, Monday, October 9, 2017
- OCRA Membership Meeting Notes – September 11, 2017