Photo of KK4BPH, Mike’s photography studio (note the back drops) where the OCRA board meets.
Nice large screen TV for presentations, internet access for live demos and Mike generously provides coffee and some goodies to munch on.
Joel KM4NOU is demonstrating some new OCRA website features to the OCRA board under development.
Dan, KR4UB showing off (again!) how easy it is to post to the OCRA website from his Android phone.
Will wonders ever cease!
After loading the Android WordPress app on my smartphone, I was amazed at how easy it is to share photos and a few words about it on the OCRA website. Take the photo, touch the share icon and select WordPress and the image can shared as a posting as I have done here, including writing some thoughts about it, or simply post the image in the media section.
I encourage all taking photos of our club’s events share them here on the club website.
I went from not even knowing about this capability to downloading and installing the app on my smartphone, taking the above photo, writing this brief article via my smartphone and posting it in less than 10 minutes!
Thanks Joel, KM4NOU for showing me how to do this
from Dan, KR4UB’s smartphone
The OCRA meeting for February was the first of 2017, due to inclement weather in early January. The first order of business was election of the slate of officers for 2017.
The following slate was presented:
- President – David Snyder W4SAR
- VP – Karen Snyder KD4YJZ
- Secretary – Joel Dunn KM4NOU
- Treasurer – Dan Eddleman KR4UB
There was one open board position, and Lad Carrington W4ORD was standing for that.
Incumbent President David Snyder asked for nominations from the floor. There were none, and the slate of candidates was affirmed by voice vote. We then had the following committee reports and announcements:
- We have $300 more than last year, even with repeater maintenance
- Encouraged the club to use smile.amazon.com and select OCRA as the receiving organization
- We have been invited back to Tar Heel 10 miler on 4/22
- 7000 runners, have 7 volunteers stationed along course
- We need volunteers, it’s a good way to get into public service
- UNC Neurosciences site is moving along, end of the process seems to be in sight
- Dee highlighted RARSFEST on 4/22, asked for approval for the club to buy two tables for $36 to allow the group to sell equipment; this was approved.
- Jack discussed the Durham Hamfest on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, said they needed volunteers.
Report from the board meeting:
- David said that there was a proposal to create a joint email list with DFMA. This was supported, as there is already considerable overlap in the membership of OCRA and DFMA. The Yahoo group has limitations, and other options were suggested, including “groups.io”. At this time the final direction has not been selected, but we will merge the two groups.
- David also said that for the NCQSO party on 2/25-6, he would activate as W4UNC
- Howie described his NPOTA activation of Moore’s Creek Bridge National Battlefield with slides and good humor!
- Lad gave a report on the Christmas dinner, and strongly encouraged more members to attend. We need to have enough to get favorable catering prices. Much discussion ensued about pricing, pre-payment options, and other methods to both increase participation and to make sure the we have enough attendees and that everyone who promises to come pays. Lad will be leading this again in 2017, so expect a few tweaks to be announced in the fall.